The Church of our Saviour on the Spilled Blood, St Petersburg is a spectacular building and is a must see for anyone visiting the city. Both the interior and exterior of the church is decorated with incredibly detailed mosaics.
It has an interesting history as it was built by Alexander III to be dedicated as a memorial to his father Alexander II who was mortally wounded by a bomb on the spot where the Church was to be built. Construction was begun in 1883 and not concluded until 1907 and it was funded by the royal family and private donations. It was not used as a public place of worship but more of a place for memorial services.
It is very different to the other architecture seen in the city as it is in an earlier medieval Russian architecture style and was also meant to resemble the famous St Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow.
The church has suffered during the 1917 Revolution when it was looted and damaged. It was closed as a church in early 1930’s and used as a morgue during the Siege of Leningrad and was further damaged. In 1970 restoration began with proceeds from St Isaac’s Cathedral and the restoration was completed in 1997. The church has not been reconsecrated.
We did not get to go inside so no pictures from there. Further information can be found here and you can do a virtual tour of the inside here.
|Even the lamp posts have gold on them|
|The bridge near the church|
|Marriage locks on the bridge close to the Church|
We are still on our way to the Hermitage but that is going to be another post.